Saturday, October 29, 2011

[Unity] ToolsLab

This is the lab submission for the Tools Lab for Walker Boy Studio.

Name:
Jason Carter

Time Frame:
The lab took 12.5 hours over multiple days.

9/26/2011:
10:30PM - 12:00AM  [1.5 hours]
Videos 101-205

9/28/2011
10:00PM - 11:00PM [1.0 hours]
Videos 301-307

9/29/2011
11:00PM - 11:45PM [0.75 hours]
Videos #14 - #20

10/7/2011
5:30PM - 6:00PM ; 6:30PM - 8:15PM  [2.25 hours]
Videos #21 - 31

10/8/2011
10:00AM - 11:00AM ; 11:30AM - 1:30PM ; 2:00PM - 3:00PM  [4.0 hours]
Videos #32 - Finished Video Tutorial.

10/8/2011
12:00AM - 1:30AM  [1.5 hours]
Folder Part and Functions Part of "On your own"

10/10/2011
4:00PM - 5:30PM [1.5 hours]
Finished Editor Hotkey + Texture to Material Function.

Project Info:  
This project was all about making tools to help work flow in Unity while making games.  The homework section was designed to have you make your own functions for the time clock, design your own folder structure, and make a new hotkey or editor function.

The new folder structure was interesting it was fun to plan out something I thought would be useful.
I designed a folder structure that I thought would be useful for the Mario 2d Clone in the next lab:
The folder structure is as follows:
Notes and Text Files
Audio
    >BGMs
    >Sound Effects
Materials
    >Player Mats
    >World and Item Mats
    >Enemy Mats
Fonts
Textures
    >Player Textures
    >World and Item Textures
    >Enemy Textures
Scripts
    >Player Scripts
    >World and Item Scripts
    >Enemy Scripts
Prefabs
    >Player Prefabs
    >World and Item Prefabs
    >Enemy Prefabs
Physics
Scenes
    >Menus
    >Levels


I'm also including the links to the java script files as well as the game file.  I think I did what I was supposed to for the functions part, but it just seemed too easy, I just want to make sure it is correctly done.

I also am including the scripts for the new hotkey which I made a new hotkey:  %#r which opens the scripting URL for quick and easy access.  It wasn't the cool idea I originally had for an editor hotkey, but I found out that it would be way beyond me to do that.  (I originally wanted to make a script that set the scene view to the view of the main camera, but could not find any information on how to do that no matter where I looked)

Timer Game File With Functions
Timer Unity Game File (As a ZIP) [MediaFire]

JavaScript Files:
JavaScript Files (In a ZIP) [MediaFire]

I added the javascript files so you could take a look over them and see if everything is actually correct.

I know the hotkey to show the script reference is a rather simple editor program, but i really couldn't think of anything else other than the one tool that I couldn't figure out to move the scene view around.

Software Used:
Unity, Google Chrome

Post Mortem:
It was a fun lab, but a little more in depth, and I think to really feel like I can do whatever I want with the editor I need to learn some more.  I understand what the lab was about, but I feel like there is so much you can do with the editor and it's a bit vast.  It was fun learning how to make a time tool though and I liked the different ways about making interesting tools and am excited to learn how to use them in the next lab.

Thanks for the lab and looking forward to seeing if everything was good enough to pass! XD

~WakeskaterX~

No comments:

Post a Comment